Archive for the ‘Beauty Tips and How-to’s’ Category
Friday, April 22nd, 2016
Shopping cruelty-free can be an ethical minefield, especially when it comes to our beloved beauty products. Although all brands sold in the EU abide by strict animal testing laws, the same can’t be said in China, where any cosmetics sold must by Chinese law be tested in their labs. Unfortunately, that means that some of our favourite mainstream beauty brands can’t be classed as cruelty-free, and many of them are very vague about their involvement with animal testing.
It’s not all bad news though, as some brilliant brands are sticking to their guns when it comes to keeping their makeup cruelty-free. Here are six of our favourites…
1) Urban Decay
You’ll be pleased to hear that you can wear your Naked palettes guilt-free, as Urban Decay has pulled out of the Chinese market until non-animal-testing methods are accepted there. This is great news for every who loves UD’s inimitable mix of wearable neutrals, bold glittery brights and signature setting sprays. (It is worth noting, however, that UD are owned by L’Oreal, who as a company do comply with Chinese animal testing laws.)
Hero product: The Naked palettes
This bold brand is all about colourful self-expression, so we’re pleased to see that they’re also vocal when it comes to animal testing. Their website states that Illamasqua has never and will never test on animals, and as such they’re refraining from the Chinese market until a cruelty-free solution is found – which means that we can stock up on their brilliant new Metamorph collection.
Hero product: Precision Ink Eyeliner (which is also vegan) – you can find it in the Glamour Spring Edit
3) Barry M
Hurrah! One of our favourite high street brands, Barry M has been committed to the cruelty-free movement ever since the company was started in 1982. In fact, they even actively campaign to end animal testing by supported the Be Cruelty-Free campaign – which means that when you buy from Barry M, you can feel good about your bank balance AND your conscience!
Hero product: Nail Paint
Mineral makeup lovers, rejoice! bareMinerals and their parent company Bare Escentuals don’t test on animals or sell in China, so feel free to take advantage of their incredible range of mineral bases and beautiful skincare. (As with Urban Decay, Bare Escentuals are owned by Shiseido, who do sell in China.)
Hero product: bareSkin Pure Brightening Serum Foundation – try it in the Glamour Spring Edit
5) Charlotte Tilbury
Everyone’s favourite new British beauty brand Charlotte Tilbury are fighting the good fight by remaining cruelty-free and not stocking in mainland China. We hope it stays this way, as they’re some of the most luxurious cruelty-free makeup and skincare products available on the market today. Don’t ever change, Charlotte!
Hero product: Matte Revolution lipsticks
6) MUA Cosmetics
Our beloved MUA Cosmetics are happily cruelty-free as well as extremely affordable. Their new collections have been fantastic lately (Velvet Lip Lacquers, anyone?), so we’re glad that this budget-friendly brand can be used guilt-free.
Hero product: The MUA Luxe Palettes – get your own in the Glamour Spring Edit
Thursday, April 21st, 2016
There’s nothing better than the feeling of having soft, Summer-ready skin – and luckily, we have a box to give you just that! Our Soft Skin Box is filled with 9 face and body products to give you perfectly smooth, hydrated skin, and has a worth of over £77! Here’s how we’d use our box to get the best results…
1) Before you do anything, you’ll need to pop your Anne Semonin Express Radiance Ice Cube in the freezer. It takes a minimum of 3 hours to freeze, so make sure you take this into account!
2) Wash your face using the philosophy purity made simple 3-in-1 cleanser. This super-gentle formula is suitable for removing makeup even around the delicate eye area, so go to town and make sure you’ve thoroughly cleansed.
If you feel like your skin needs a little extra brightening, then you can always integrate the Exuviance Triple Microdermabrasion Face Polish into your cleansing routine. It’ll give you that little extra hit of exfoliation and help your kincare products to absorb quicker – but make sure you limit use to a couple of times a week to avoid over-exfoliating.
3) Follow up your cleansing with a final freshening sweep of the Urban Veda Reviving Hydrating Toner on a cotton wool pad. It’ll help to remove any traces of makeup still left behind, and will help balance your skin for the next stage.
4) Apply your Hydraluron moisture-boosting mask. Press the sheet mask down gently with your fingertips, and then leave for at least 15 minute to get the best effects.
5) Remove the mask, and massage in any excess serum left on the skin. Now it’s time to use your Anne Semonin Ice Cube! Take it out of the freezer, pop it out of the packaging. and wrap it in a clean muslin cloth. Then, sweep it lightly around the eye contour in a circular motion, then under the eye area to the nose, to give your undereye area a refreshing boost.
6) Apply your Studio 10 Miracle Effect Priming Serum. Its anti-ageing formula has an immediate effect on fine lines and wrinkles, while its anti-inflammatory properties will help soothe and prevent breakouts in the long run.
7) Finally, moisturise with the Elemental Herbology Cell Plumping Facial Hydrator. It’s especially effective on dry and mature skins, but is lightweight enough for everyday use. Now your face should be beautifully smooth and soft!
8) Give your body a little TLC with the REN Moroccan Rose Otto Body Lotion. One of REN’s best-sellers, this body cream has a divine rose scent and absorbs quickly into skin to leave it immediately softer.
9) Finally, apply Dr Lipp Miracle Balm to any extra dry areas that may need help, such as cuticles, lips, rough elbows or hands.
Now you’re super soft and ready for Spring! You can find the Soft Skin Box for just £20 at latestinbeauty.com – plus you can get a unique free delivery code for a limited time only!
Tuesday, April 19th, 2016
Spring is here! You know what that means – time to ditch the heavy foundations, powders and concealers of Winter and embrace glowing skin for the new season. Follow these base and skincare rules for a fresh take on SS16 skin…
Rule 1) Replace your Winter foundation for something with a lighter formula and more lightweight coverage. Even if you’re worried about imperfections, these can always be covered with a blendable concealer, so go as light as you dare. Try a CC or BB cream, tinted moisturiser or lightweight foundation for Spring – or, if you’re confident in your skin, skip the foundation all together! If you don’t want a full switch, simply mix a small amount of moisturiser with your current foundation to create a lighter base.
Rule 2) Instead of using a flat foundation brush or dense buffing brush to apply your foundation, get a more sheer, natural finish by using your fingers, a damp Beauty Blender or a stippling brush. One expert trick is to apply your moisturiser using your chosen brush first, then use the same brush to apply your foundation – it’ll stop you from overloading your skin with product.
Rule 3) Change your finish. Generally speaking, matte, powdered skin is in during Autumn and Winter, while dewy finish foundation comes into its own during Spring and Summer. If your usual base is usually a dewy or satin finish, then simply skip using powder on top, and instead use a fixing spray to set your makeup. If you have oily skin and can’t bear to part with your powder, then use something super lightweight just on the T-zone to keep excess shine at bay.
Rule 4) Don’t skimp on the SPF! If you don’t usually wear an SPF during Winter (naughty), then now is the time to incorporate one into your makeup routine. Ideally you’d use a dedicated SPF, but if you’re struggling to get the coverage, then incorporate one into your moisturiser and foundation. Choose something with a minimum of SPF20 to protect your skin from the Spring sunshine. We recommend the bareMinerals bareSkin Pure Brightening Serum Foundation, which is ultra lightweight, non-comedogenic and hypoallergenic, and includes an SPF too!
Friday, April 15th, 2016
If you’re taking a break abroad for the May bank holidays (or you’re just really looking forward to that holiday you have booked in Summer), you’ll need to know what beauty essentials to take with you on the plane to stay fresh and fabulous! Here’s a rundown of our favourites – and they’re all under a travel-friendly 100ml…
Ladival Sun Protection, £9.99 for 75ml
Did you know that you’re still exposed to UVA rays when you’re in the air? In fact, UV exposure increases by 15% for every 2900 feet, and UVA rays can still penetrate the glass of a window pane. To be on the safe side, pack a travel-friendly suncream in your handbag or carry-on luggage so that you can apply before you board, and if it’s a longhaul flight you can reapply before you leave the plane to avoid immediately burning (not a good look!).
Popbands, available in Build Your Own Box
There’s nothing more irritating than your only hairtie snapping while you’re on a long flight, so instead pack some cute Popbands in your carry-on. They’re comfortable to wear on your wrist, they won’t snap, and they look great! Plus this two-pack comes with a spare in case one drops down the side of the seat.
Manuka Doctor ApiRefine CC Cream with SPF20, £19,99 for 30ml
If you can, then going makeup-free will be the most beneficial for your skin. If you can’t bear to part with your foundation (we know we can’t), then choose a lightweight, moisturising base to combat the drying effect of cabin air. A CC cream like this one from Manuka Doctor will smooth and even out the complexion while still allowing your skin to breathe.
Avene Eau Thermale Thermal Spring Water Spray, £3 for 50ml
Another way to fight dry skin with minimal effort is a handy soothing water spray – and Avene’s Eau Thermale is the original and best. Giving your face a quick, refreshing spritz with this every once in a while can help cool you down, stop skin drying out, and make you feel ready to take on baggage reclaim at the other end.
MALIN+GOETZ Travel Trio, available in Build Your Own Box
If it’s a longhaul or overnight flight, then cleansing your skin is a must. This clever travel-friendly trio of MALIN+GOETZ products includes their Grapefruit Face Cleanser for removing makeup and freshening up, and their fab Vitamin E Face Moisturiser to stop skin becoming dehydrated. There’s even a handy lip balm, which is always handy on a plane.
Skin Republic Brightening Vitamin C Sheet Mask, £4.99 for 25ml
If you don’t give a hoot what you look like on a plane, then make like the celebs and treat yourself to a pampering face mask for real airborne luxury. Sheet masks are hot in beauty right now, and ideal for flights as they’re mess-free and easy to apply – if a little scary-looking.
COLAB Dry Shampoo in Paris, 50ml, available in Build Your Own Box
One of the worst things about sleeping on a longhaul flight is feeling like your hair is static and greasy afterward. Pop a mini dry shampoo in your hand luggage, however, and you can give yourself a quick spray and be good as new! We love COLAB as it doesn’t leave any telltale white residue and has a gorgeous floral fragrance.
Sonic Chic Urban toothbrush, £14.99
Okay, we’re not sure that a toothbrush technically counts as a beauty essential, but this battery-powered travel toothbrush was so pretty that we couldn’t resist!
Wednesday, April 13th, 2016
For a relaxing pick-me-up, you can’t go far wrong with our gorgeous Beauty Retreat Box. This luxurious pampering box is filled with beautifully-scented, relaxing goodies to help you unwind and treat yourself to a little something special. You can use the products however you like, but here’s how we’d use them to get the full Beauty Retreat Box experience…
1) There’s nothing like a scented candle to relax your mind and put you in the mood for pampering, so before doing anything else, light your Amphora Aromatics Orange & Clove Mini Pot candle to take advantage of the soothing, aromatherapy scent.
2) Run a bath! Depending on the time of day, you have two sweet-smelling options to add to your bath – if you’re looking for a relaxing night-time soak to help you drift off to sleep, then use a few drops of your Tisserand Sweet Dreams Bath Oil. The lavender, jasmine and sandalwood scent encourages a peaceful night’s sleep, while the coconut, sweet almond and jojoba helps to moisturise skin.
If you’re taking your bath in the day, then add your Mauli Himalayan Healing Salts to the running water for a relaxing wellbeing experience. These unique bath salts are made with Himalayan pink salts, infused with a blend of 13 therapeutic oils to help relieve stress and calm your mind.
3) Wash your face using the Grapefruit Face Cleanser included in your MALIN+GOETZ trio, to remove any residual makeup or grime. It’s formulated especially for sensitive skin, which means it provides a thorough cleanse without stripping away natural oils, and won’t break you out. Result!
4) Pat your face dry with a towel or flannel, and then apply your Exuviance Purifying Clay Masque in a thin layer to your face, paying particular attention to the T-zone. This detoxifying mask will help clear any breakouts and leave your skin fresher and brighter.
5) With your face mask still on, apply the Skyn Iceland Hydro Cool Firming Gels to your undereye area and enjoy the cooling sensation. Lay back and relax for 10 minutes to let the mask and eye gels work their magic.
6) Remove the eye gels and use a damp flannel rinsed through with warm water to remove your clay mask. Now you have a choice of two fabulously fragrant shower gels! The Bamford Geranium, Lavender and Peppermint Body Wash is made with gentle plant-based cleansers, and is certified 81% organic – it also smells amazing!
The Rituals Hammam Delight Foaming Shower Gel has a gel-to-foam texture with a soft, luxurious lather, which combined with the eucalyptus and rosemary fragrance makes it perfect for a refreshing cleanse.
7) Get out of the bath and dry off. Apply the MALIN+GOETZ Vitamin E Face Moisturiser and Lip Balm from your trio to keep the hydration from your face masks. It’s important to apply your facial moisturiser within 30 minutes of washing your face to avoid losing essential moisture!
8) Apply the Korres Bergamot & Pear Body Milk all over for a sweet, lightweight hit of moisture for your body. Doing this while your skin is still warm will help the lotion absorb more quickly.
9) If you have any dry or rough patches, or your skin is seriously parched and in need of more heavy duty moisturisation, then apply the Beatitude Joy Body Oil to soften and smooth.
And that’s it! Pick up your Beauty Retreat Box for just £20 now – and for a limited time only, you can get your own unique free delivery code too.