I don’t think there are many women out there who have never experienced a tanning fail. I will happily hold my hands up and say that I have. A lot!
For those of you who want to know how to get that golden glow, without the panda eyes and those tell-tale dirty hands, I have created a step by step guide for you this party season. The following 7 steps of tanning are fool proof – so you can have tanning confidence this party season.
1. ALWAYS exfoliate – Make sure you shave or wax any areas you need to, and exfoliate using an oil-free product, focusing on drier areas such as elbows, knees and ankles, also moisturise your whole body with an oil-free moisturiser.
2. Choose your tanning product – I have chosen XEN-TAN’s Luminous Gold Gel. This fast drying tan is paraben free (tick) with iridescent gold flecks which sit on the skin so the shimmer doesn’t transfer onto clothes (big tick!) Conveniently there is only one colour, meaning it is suitable for everyone. (The tan contains an ingredient called “Lexorez” which helps the tan so develop over time meaning your tan will last longer).
3. Pre-application prep – Remove any make-up, deodorant, moisturisers or anything that could act as a barrier between your skin and the tanning product, as this can lead to discolouration. Apply a thin layer of oil-free moisturiser to elbows, knees and ankles at this point too, but try and avoid the rest of your body as this could prevent an even ﬁnish. Choose the right location at home to apply your tan. Make sure the room is bright and preferably with a large mirror so you can see all angles.
4. Use a mitt – I strongly recommend using a mitt to apply your tan – mitts give a smooth and even application, and help protect your hands from getting stained not to mention I have had some bad experiences using my hands alone! Mitt tip: to keep your mitt in fresh and in premium condition, wash it with soap and warm water immediately after application and leave to air dry.
5. Feet & hands – Use a cotton wool pad or make-up sponge for a smooth ﬁnish. To avoid those nasty marks (we’ve all been there) apply lightly between toes and around nails, blending carefully over the heels and towards the bottoms of your feet. Leave your hands until last. Wash them thoroughly with a bar of soap for about a minute (bars work better than liquid soap) and leave them to dry for ten minutes. Like with feet, use a cotton wool pad or make-up sponge to apply a small amount to the backs of the hands and more lightly between the ﬁngers and around the nails and gently work into your skin.
6. The back – If you’ve no one there to help you, which is very often the case, take a piece of cling ﬁlm approximately 50cm long and fold it in half lengthways, apply three dots of tanner along the strip, and, taking an end in each hand, rub across your back and shoulders. (The same way you’d dry your back with a towel.) Use a mirror to check for any spots you might have missed and reapply if necessary. Genius!
7. Finishing touches & prolonging your tan – Once you have finished applying your tan avoid exercise and swimming, hot baths and don’t exfoliate whilst your tan develops. After showering or bathing pat your skin dry to keep your tan looking ﬂawless. Wear loose, dark clothing after tanning and whilst your tan develops. Exfoliate using an oil-free body scrub a couple of days after tanning, and moisturise with an oil free moisturiser to keep your skin smooth and your tan even.
There you go, 7 steps to the perfect tan. I hope this has helped give you the confidence to give tanning a go – if I can achieve that golden glow you definitely can too! You can check out all of XEN-TAN’s incredible tanning products at www.xen-tan.co.uk.
XEN-TAN’s Luminous Gold Gel is in our December ‘Party Prep’ GLAMOUR Beauty Edit.